RE: Mounce: Enough already?

From: Mark Gibbs (GibbsM@smcsc.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 01 1999 - 20:43:22 EST

I thank all for their input to my initial inquiry. I hardly realized at
the
outset that this question would bring about such zeal. If I did not
before, I
now know the magnitude of the task at hand. Thank you Dr. Conrad for
bringing
this to a gracious close.

Sincerely,
M. Gibbs

<SMTP:cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>
=====
>At 8:51 PM +1100 11/30/99, S.D. & J.A. Mannix wrote:
>>G'day.
>>
>>The issue of Mounce seems to me
>>to be a storm in a tea-sup.
>>
>>It is a natural thing to draw conclusions
>>about the meanings of texts when studying
>>them in the original languages. After all,
>>isn't that what we are meant to be doing?
>>
>>I haven't ever gotten the impression that
>>Mounce is trying force his interpretations
>>upon me, but I do appreciate the fact that
>>he is thought-provoking.
>>
>>I certainly prefer Mounce to Wuest who seems
>>bent on forcing the text to prove his view points.
>
>I honestly think we've had enough of this, haven't we? Some of it has
>actually concerned reasons why we like or don't like a particular text,
but
>is there really anything more to be said about Mounce's _Basics of
Biblical