Re: Mounce: Enough already?

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 01 1999 - 21:50:19 EST

OFF-LIST

At 10:54 AM +1100 12/1/99, S.D. & J.A. Mannix wrote:
>Thank you for your rudeness.
>
>Was it necessary to rebuke me publicly
>as well as privately?

I'm sorry you took it that way. Most people's mailers automatically send a
copy of the reply to both the list and to the original sender of the
message to which the reply is posted. My message was NOT meant as a
personal comment on your particular message, and I am indeed sorry that you
took it that way. I really should have composed a separate message
suggesting that it is time to end the thread; I did so primarily because it
seemed to me that you were expressing again a viewpoint that has been
expressed several times in the course of the thread--just as has the
opposite viewpoint. While there are, I think, plenty of reasons to prefer
one or another text on strictly pedagogical grounds of judgment, this is
not a matter on which it makes sense to count votes for and against the
textbook: there are many who like it very much and many who have objections
to it, and both have their strong reasons for their preference.

>I'm sorry for expressing a point of view.

You need not be sorry for expressing a viewpoint; the only question I would
ask about any particular contribution to an ongoing thread is whether one
is adding something new to the discussion or rather simply agreeing with
something that has already been said. When I wrote my note that just
happened to be addressed to you, it really did seem to me that about
everything that could be said about the Mounce textbook had pretty much
been said already. My apologies to you personally and to the list for the
unintentional, but nevertheless rather careless rudeness.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu