Re: gennawing males

From: Stephen C. Carlson (scarlson@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Dec 01 1999 - 21:14:52 EST

At 01:03 PM 12/1/99 -0500, Bart Ehrman wrote:
> The reason I'm interested in GENNAW just now is because 1 Clement
>quotes Ps. 2:7 (or, at least, quotes the quotation of Ps. 2:7 in Heb. 1).
>Why *not* translate it: "You are my son, today I have given you birth"?
>Is it only because we know that God is a man instead of a woman, and so
>can't give birth? Seems like the logic of that could be pushed in lots of
>directions (e.g., the pressure points: "know," "man," "and so"). But are
>there other reasons?

It seems to me that we should not prejudice the male/female issue in
the translation either way. Although "begat" can be gender-neutral,
it is archaic, contains theological connotation possibly inappropriate
for 1 Clement, and typically used of males since "borne" is a convenient
word for females. "Sired" and "fathered" are biased in favor of a male
image, and "have given you birth" is biased in favor a female image.

Perhaps we should explore: "You are my son, today I have procreated
you" or "... today I have brought you forth" or "... today I have
engendered you."

Stephen Carlson

--
Stephen C. Carlson                        mailto:scarlson@mindspring.com