Re: gennawing males

From: Joe A. Friberg (JoeFriberg@email.msn.com)
Date: Thu Dec 02 1999 - 01:49:44 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen C. Carlson" <scarlson@mindspring.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 1999 8:14 PM

> Perhaps we should explore: "You are my son, today I have procreated
> you" or "... today I have brought you forth" or "... today I have
> engendered you."

This last option of 'engendered' is, IMO, the best one I have heard on this
thread, just surpassing Carl Conrad's 'generated'. However, both have their
weaknesses, and sound either bookish or electrifying. It seems to me that
there simply is no good Modern English word that works for GENNAW, so we
must look beyond word-for-word solutions.

Some beyond-the-word solutions have been suggested:
'today I have become your father'
but this is passive, and lends itself to a merely adoptionistic
interpretation in the context.

Other possible alternatives are:
- you have become my child (still passive)
- I have made you my child (very adoptionistic)
- I have made you my offspring
This latter is my suggestion at this point, since it incorporates both the
active sense of GENNAW and also the biological connection inherent in it.
The adoption notion must then be read as a metaphorical projection, which is
consistent with the original word and context.

God Bless!
Joe Friberg