Re: Jn 20:22

From: N & RJ Hanscamp (hanscamps@paradise.net.nz)
Date: Tue Dec 07 1999 - 01:25:36 EST

>At 10:41 AM +1300 12/7/99, N & RJ Hanscamp wrote:
>>the term ENEFUSHSEN is normally translated "breathed on them", though it
is
>>probably more correctly "breathed out". Most commentators connect it with
>>Genesis 2.7, Ezekiel 37.9 and Wisdom 15.11 where God is said to 'breath
>>life' into inanimate objects as a part of creation or re-creation.

>Carl Conrad wrote:
>I'm curious what the justification is supposed to be for understanding
>*EN*-EFUSHSEN as "breathed OUT." Does Raymond Brown argue this in fact (my
>copy of his commentary is not presently at hand as I write)? or is it an
>assumption from the context and an assumption that if he says, "Receive the
>Spirit," it can't already be in or on (or--dare I say it?) NEAR them? It
>just seems like a perverse way of understanding the force of this prefix.

OOpppss. I was wrong (there I said it). What I should have said was
"breathed on". The translation is "he breathed on and said to them."

I think I remember a commentary saying that the force was more on Jesus'
breathing, than on the object (which didn't seem to matter). So the
translation (if I can remember it ) was something like "and he breathed and
said to them...". But I can't lay my hands on the commentary right now, and
I'm not sure that such a 'distancing' of the object and subject is necessary
in this case.

Sorry about the misleading info.

(Ten days and my thesis will be in at the binders. YES!)

Nigel
Nigel Hanscamp
Trinity Methodist Theological College
Auckland Consortium of Theological Education, New Zealand
Email: hanscamps@paradise.net.nz

Auckland. STILL home of the America's cup!