What is the opposite of a deponent?

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)
Date: Sun Dec 05 1999 - 20:04:22 EST

<x-flowed>To: the participants of the B-Greek list,

The Greek verb AGALLIAOMAI appears to have been a Hellenistic coinage, a
LXX neologism. It occurs 74 times in the LXX (according to LEH), as what is
sometimes called a "deponent" verb. It also occurs 11 times in the NT,
twice in the active voice (Lk 1:47 & Rev 19:7; cf. 1 Pt 1:8vl). Thus it
seems that this verb was coined as a "deponent" verb, but by the first
century it had evolved to the place where it could also be used with the
active voice. The original notion of a "deponent" was to describe those
verbs which had "lay aside" the active forms. Here we have an example of a
verb which has picked up the active forms. So I wonder, what is the
opposite for deponent? Could we call AGALLIAW a "reponent" verb?

I'll also note that although AGALLIAW has active forms in the NT, BAGD
classifies the rest of them as deponents. Leaving aside whether or not
"deponent" is a meaningful grammatical category, I wonder are there other
(so called) "deponent" verbs which in the NT have picked up active forms?

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@www.plantnet.com
Disclaimer: "I'm just a simple house-husband (with no post-grad degree),
what do I know?"