Re: What is the opposite of a deponent?

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)
Date: Mon Dec 06 1999 - 09:52:57 EST

<x-flowed>To: Carl W. Conrad,

Thank you for your very learned reply, I greatly appreciate it. And yes,
"reponent" was more tongue-in-cheek than serious. When I'm reading the
Greek text these issues don't stick out like they do when I'm reading a
lexicon.

I have a follow up question. For NT uses of AGALLIAW, we have the aorist
HGALLIASA and aorist passive HGALLIAQHN (and I think I've seen somewhere
also the form HGALLIASQHN, but off hand I'm not for sure). But my question
is this. In the LXX we also have the (deponent) future: AGALLIASOMAI. If
someone was preparing a chart of the principal parts of irregular or
important verbs covering both the NT and the LXX, should the future be
listed as AGALLIASW or AGALLIASOMAI? After all, some active verbs have only
middle futures, yes? Does anyone know if AGALLIASW was used in Byzantine
Greek and whether or not it ever developed an active future?

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@www.plantnet.com
Disclaimer: "I'm just a simple house-husband (with no post-grad degree),
what do I know?"