Re: John 12:7

From: Mr. Gary S. Dykes (yhwh3in1@lightspeed.net)
Date: Mon Dec 06 1999 - 15:28:07 EST

As Conrad points out two connotations exist for "keep", and his suggestion
seems probable. The verb "keep" exists as an aorist form or as a perfect
tense form here, both variants are well supported. If Conrad's notion of a
type of observance is correct, then the perfect tense would seem best to
me. But if she is pouring it all out then and there, then the aorist form
seems best, and it would favor the semantic meaning of "kept" (she kept it
for this occasion, and it was all poured out).

The perfect (if original here) would favor her retaining some of the
ointment, and using it later (or donating it later) for the proper Jewish
burial ritual. The verbal context with AFES (let her alone) perhaps has
some impact here upon the words of Jesus, -- as the action of the aorist
imperative (AFES) MAY need to occur before the act of her keeping can
become a reality, if the perfect is considered. On the basis of this
relationship of the two tenses the aorist and the perfect, I opt for the
perfect tense, and would also propose a translation which retains her
"retaining" of some of the ointment for later (final) purposes. Thus, the
true impact of the perfect tense would be resolved.

But keep in mind, that I think the aorist form of "keep" would also be the
more difficult reading here, and would be subject to change to the easier
(grammatically) perfect. The differences between the two verb forms are not
due to phonetic (aural) errors, they are intentional. So Wieland, does this
move your gray matter around? Still I opt for the perfect tense as the
inspired original form.

Mr. Gary S. Dykes email -- yhwh3in1@lightspeed.net
Swanson's Errata-- http://userzweb.lightspeed.net/yhwh3in1/