how to learn paradigms?

From: yochanan bitan (ButhFam@compuserve.com)
Date: Wed Dec 08 1999 - 15:51:17 EST

in the threads on grammars a comment appeared about paradigms that can
serve as a basis for a discussion about practical application.

justin alfred wrote:
> The truth of the matter, you do need to learn some basic paradigms,
> regardless of whose grammar you learn from, and anyone who
> would tell you differently is certainly not "shooting straight" with
you.

yes, and ...
two questions about this can help us all clarify matters.

1) What techniques are most efficient for learning paradigms?
Some psychological research has been done in this area, some of it quite
old, but i don't ever remember seeing a greek grammarian accessing such
stuff.
is looking at a table best?
is copying a table best?
is punching a button on a computer 'table box' and hearing something best?
is associating endings with unrelated english rhymes best?
is orally substituting items within a pattern drill best?
is using the form in a composition sentence best?
is using the form in an orally composed sentence best?
is listening to a table best?
is pronouncing a table best?
are all of the above, equally divided best?
are all of the above, in a particular sequence best?
are all of the above, in a time weighted preference best?
are we missing something above?

the answers cannot be dealt with until the following question is also
asked:

2) How do we know when we have learned a pardigm?
does this sound like bill cosby, 'why is there air?' -- not at all.

there are many different skill levels and these are rarely addressed
because most people aim at one small corner of the whole field: the ability
to define and name the form in another language when presented with a greek
form. i.e. the ability to 'parse' a form.
most greek readers, serious students and teachers eventually reach a level
where the decoding process of reading/parsing a greek form is automatic and
unconscious. a corollary to such a level is the question, what is the
fastest way to that level?
but even that level hides something from normal language use and can lead
to language atrophy.

in real language fluency a user can also produce the forms automatically
and without thinking. that accompanies a level that allows readers to enjoy
fluently reading long sentences and contexts with understanding.
what is the fastest way to that level?
and conversely, do any of the above methods actually slow down the process?

those should be avoided or used sparingly where they may contribute a small
useful part of the learning process.

the process of learning itself may not be a smooth continuum or upward
slope but apparently occurs in hops and quantum bumps, contrary to
pavlovian/skinnerism. the search for what causes something to 'stick' is
part of what led to the development of asher's "total physical response" in
the 60's-70's.

well, the above is food for thought.

nun de ofeilomen maqein ei dunameqa trughsai karpous ek toutwn twn
erwthsewn

errwsqe
randall buth