Greek Esther and Heb. 4:16

From: TCS.con101@worldnet.att.net
Date: Sun Dec 05 1999 - 20:21:42 EST

I've been exploring some parallels between Greek Esther
and Heb. 4:16--and I'm wondering if I could get some
assistance, on this List, on a couple of Greek points.

[Short question first (where I show how little Greek I know):]

(1) "Draw near" -

In Greek Esther we have the word PROSELQE,
and in Heb. 4:16 we have the word PROSERCOMAI.

Am I correct in my understanding that PROSELQE is in a
form used to address an individual (single), while
PROSERCOMAI is in a form favoring a group of people
(plural)?

(2) "Mercy and Grace" -

In Heb. 4:16, we're encouraged to approach the throne
"that we may obtain mercy [ELEOS] and find grace [CARIN],
in our time of need."

In Greek Esther the same word CARIN is translated as "favor,"
throughout the book.

The word ELEOS had me puzzled, though. No reference was
found in Esther. However, I discovered that the Hebrew version
of Esther 2:17 had the following:

ASV "And the king loved Esther above all the women, and she
obtained favor [Chen] and kindness [Checed] in his sight more
than all the virgins; so that he set the royal crown upon her head,
and made her queen instead of Vashti."

The word for favor [Chen] is translated as CARIN throughout
Esther, but the word for kindness [Checed] is missing in Greek Esther!
The following quote from Brenton's translation, illustrates this:

LXE "And the king loved Esther, and she found favour beyond all the
other virgins: and he put on her the queen's crown."

Throughout the Septuagint, ELEOS seems to be the Greek word
of choice for translating "Checed" (which is then rendered as either
"mercy" or "kindness").

(Considering that the writer of Hebrews was applying Greek Esther's
imagery to our approach to the throne . . . )

This leaves me with two possibilities: either the writer of Hebrews
(being familiar with both versions) felt something was lacking in the
Septuagint--and made up for it, by adding ELEOS; or--there is another
Greek version of Esther that shows both CARIN and ELEOS in
Esther 2:17.

I understand there were five different forms of Greek Esther . . . if
someone has access to these other forms, I'd appreciate hearing
their findings (either way).

Steve Conrad