Re: Grammars

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 10 1999 - 08:48:15 EST

At 7:18 AM -0600 12/10/99, Steven Craig Miller wrote:
>To: the Rev. Gordon K. Goltz,
>
><< For an intermediate grammar of koine Blass/Debrunner/Funk is the
>standard. For the more advanced, Grammar of New Testament Greek by James
>Hope Moulton is classic. >>
>
>I've posted a couple quibbling messages encouraging people to expand their
>categories beyond the two bipolar extremes of "beginner" and "advanced" so
>as to add a third category "intermediate" into their vocabulary. And now,
>someone has taken my exhortation to heart. But I wonder, you didn't just
>assume that since BDF was only one volume, whereas the
>Moulton-Howard-Turner [MHT] grammar is four volumes that this means BDF is
>an intermediate grammar and MHT is an advanced grammar, did you? Surely
>there must have been some other criterion at work here, yes?

Yes; an underlying assumption of BDF is that the user already has a solid
grasp on Attic grammar, that this concentrates on ways in which the NT
Koine presents morphology and syntax that differs from the older classical
morphology and syntax, but assumes a working knowledge of the older Greek.

><< A useful grammar for beginning Koine is one by James Voelz published by
>Concordia Publishing House in St. Louis, MO. >>
>
>In addition to taking into account some of the new insights on Verbal
>aspect, Voelz's grammar also tries to take into account that many students
>might also be weak in their knowledge of English grammar.

An understatement, if ever there was one. A textbook of grammar for English
speaking students that does not take into account a large measure of
ignorance of English grammar in the student is more or less doomed to
failure, in my opinion. My own observation, FWIW, over 45 years of teaching
Greek and Latin, is that a considerable part of the acquisition of the
foreign language is coming to understand the differences between structures
of one's own language and those of the language being learned.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu