Re: "Why Study Greek"

From: Will Wagers (hyle@airmail.net)
Date: Sun Dec 12 1999 - 06:43:07 EST

<x-flowed>How noble our reasons for studying Greek:
How base the use to which we put the knowledge.

The Hebrew gods spoke Hebrew, the Chinese gods Chinese, the
Greek gods Greek. How cursed are we whose gods spoke no English!
I fear this dooms us to the letter rather than the spirit.

(I find it all so curious that as soon as Man learned to read,
the gods stopped talking.)

It would seem that Protestantism is one of the few, organized religions
which fails to recognize that a fool who speaks Greek is yet a fool.

I study Greek to try to cuddle up to that perverse creature-- Religion.

Will Wagers hyle@airmail.net "Reality is the best metaphor."