Re: "Why study Greek?"

From: Kevin P. Edgecomb (kedgecom@library.berkeley.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 11 1999 - 17:51:00 EST

<x-flowed>Mr. Edwards,
Such a wealth of literature in the early church is in Greek, so much of
which remains untranslated into English, that I have found that I simply
must learn Greek in order to comprehend much of what it is that comprises
being an Orthodox Christian (um, also to keep up in the Liturgy!). Though
it will take time and effort, it will be quite well worth it. Along with
an already "fair" grasp of Latin, I am excited by the reading that I will
be able to do in the near future.

By the way, b-greek list, in keeping with the above, I am beginning with
Mastronarde's Introduction to Attic Greek. Comments?

--Kevin P. Edgecomb
University of California at Berkeley
kedgecom@library.berkeley.edu