Re: "Why study Greek?"

From: Theodore H Mann (thmann@juno.com)
Date: Sat Dec 11 1999 - 20:02:10 EST

Pastor Edwards:

     As I recall, this subject was dealt with at considerable length some
time back, so the responses will probably be similar.
     Steve Miller correctly points out that some knowledge of Greek helps
in understanding scholarly commentaries involving the Greek text; but to
function at the level described by Jim West, I think you have to be very
good at it. Unless you are willing to invest the time (years) and effort
(borderline obsession?) to become exceedingly proficient at the language,
I think you're better off learning what you can for the pure enjoyment of
it, and for the great people you get to associate with, and learn from,
along the way.
     It would be interesting to know how many members of the list, who
have achieved high-level proficiency in NT Greek, had to study before
they felt as though they could function independently, without the need
for some kind of mentor/s looking over their shoulders. How long did it
take the big-Greeks to reach the point where they could read the text in
a natural, fluid way, and sense the subtle nuances at play in the
language, without having to be told that they were there? At what point
in their studies were they able to discover "things" about the text on
their own, without having to ask someone else if they were right? I'll
bet it took longer than a few semesters of beginning and intermediate
Greek. Until one approaches that level of skill, however, I think he is
pretty much going to have to rely on the expertise of others. In his
post, Jim uses the illustration of the physician who has never studied
anatomy. In the world of NT Greek, I would say that unless the student
(the ignorant physician) is willing to become really good at the language
(Greek anatomy), he is forever going to have to rely on the Dr. West's of
the world to guide his hand in performing verbal aspectomies.
     I study Greek on my own, as I am able, and love it. And to me
that's the secret. Even if you don't become a Jim West or Carl Conrad
(not to slight others of equal ability), or discover the "deep secrets"
hidden in the text (most of them have been written about in English,
anyway), you should study the language because you love doing it. It's
great fun!
Best.

Ted

Dr. Theodore "Ted" Mann