Re: Mt 3:2, 4:17 & 2 Corinthians 7:9

From: Steve Puluka (spuluka@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 02 1999 - 21:40:07 EST

<x-flowed>>From: David A Bielby <dbielby@juno.com>

>I'm wondering about the term METANOEW because I keep seeing
>it defined in practical applications as 'feeling bad about what you've
>done' or 'being truly sorry for your sins' and stopping there. My
>understanding is that METANOEW and METANOIA are directly tied
>to a change not only in feeling/understanding, but also it must include the
>notion of a change of lifestyle/behavior. In 2 Corinthians 7:9 Paul uses
>the phrase 'hOTI ELUPHQHTE EIS METANOIAN'. Am I correct on this? Is there
>any validity to the view that METANOIA refers simply to 'deep sorrow or
>being truly sorry' without
>including the notion of changing behavior based on that sorrow?

You are on the right track. This is one of the few Greek words that I still
hear spoken in my Parish Church during Homilies. METANOIA is the word used
in the Eastern Christian tradition to sum up the meaning of the Great Fast
before the Feast of the Resurrection. (Lent in western terms). We render
METANOIA as "change of heart". The implication is that we not only
recognize and feel sorry about our sinfull behaviour but we commit ourselves
to change.

Repentance is a common English translation that works well.

A few additional examples would be the Apostolic Fathers:

1 Clement 7:4
2 Clement 16:4
Hermas Mandates II-7 IV-8 +10
Ignatius to the Ephesians 10:1