Mt 3:2, 4:17 & 2 Corinthians 7:9

From: David A Bielby (dbielby@juno.com)
Date: Thu Dec 02 1999 - 11:13:32 EST

Dear B-Greekers,

I'm wondering about the term METANOEW because I keep seeing it defined in
practical applications as 'feeling bad about what you've done' or 'being
truly sorry for your sins' and stopping there. My understanding is that
METANOEW and METANOIA are directly tied to a change not only in
feeling/understanding, but also it must include the notion of a change of
lifestyle/behavior. In 2 Corinthians 7:9 Paul uses the phrase 'hOTI
ELUPHQHTE EIS METANOIAN'. Am I correct on this? Is there any validity to
the view that METANOIA refers simply to 'deep sorrow or being truly
sorry' without including the notion of changing behavior based on that
sorrow?

Thanks for the input.

David Bielby
the Vineyard