Re: Mt 3:2, 4:17 & 2 Corinthians 7:9

From: David A Bielby (dbielby@juno.com)
Date: Fri Dec 17 1999 - 00:22:12 EST

Dear Gary,

I think the sequence Paul lays out in 2 Cor 7:9-10 prohibits
METANOIEW/METANOIA
from meaning a change of mind. Certainly sorrow over past behavior is a
result
of seeing things from a different perspective. Therefore,from the context
this term must include a change of behavior also. It seems clear that a
change in behavior was the firm implication in Mt 3:2; and 4:17 also.
Therefore, I think we must deal with the concept as Martin Luther said in
the first of his 95 theses. Mt 4:17 refers to a lifestyle of repentance.

On 12/03/99, ""Mr. Gary S. Dykes" <yhwh3in1@lightspeed.net>" wrote:
> This is a deep topic and this list will not suffice for full and thorough
discussion on it, but...here are my opinions and suggestions.

>From a monosemic view, the verb and noun forms stem from the original
meaning of "change + mind". (s.v. "META",section VIII, page 1109,
LSJ)However, META... can also imply a sort of mental consequence, focusing
upon its "time" element in the compound. Hence, "after-thought", even
"with-thought" is possible.

"Repent" is a medieval creation, and can be misleading. In various
contexts, "changing one's mind" can be attributed to various agents. In a
believers' life, the indwelling Holy Spirit can assist, which is what Paul
is implicating in II Cor. 7:9,10. A Christian should possess a certain
mind-set about most things. And after trusting in the Lord, a believer
should experience a "change-of-mind" concerning former attitudes. This
does
require some time.
snip...
Mr. Gary S. Dykes