Re: I John 3:2 and I John 2:28

From: Bill Ross (wross@farmerstel.com)
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 14:21:06 EST

>From Bill Ross, not an expert...

Ean is intrinsically conditional, whereas when is not conditional, so it is
not the best translation.

Since it opposes the phrase OUPW EFANERWQH the idea of "when" seems to be
implied.

To combine the sense of "when" with a conditional characteristic, I might
be tempted to translate it "whensoever" or "when ever" or "if [He] should"
much as we add the helping word "might be" to the subjunctive.

As a further note, I was just reading about the use of EAV in conjunction
with "hOS" (the demonstrative pronoun, not the big guy from Bonanza).

hOS + EAV = whosoever, which could lend to its flavor of "soever"