Re: I John 3:2 and I John 2:28

From: Lynn Rubier-Capron (rubiercapron@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 23:14:16 EST

<x-charset iso-8859-1>I John 3:2 has a third class conditional clause which most translations
render "when." The only exception I found on my Logos software was the
American Standard Version. I used the same software to search the N.T., in
the NASV. I found I John, 3:2 and 2:28 to be the only two times in which
"ean" was rendered "when." Is there any grammatical reason why so many
translations give "ean" the meaning "when" ? Or, might their reasons be
theological?

Thank you in advance, Lynn R.-C.

This was intended for the entire B-Greek list. Would you please let me know
if the message just went to Jeffrey B. Gibson? Thank you.