Re: GENOITO!

From: Edward Hobbs (EHOBBS@WELLESLEY.EDU)
Date: Wed Dec 15 1999 - 16:52:41 EST

Bart Ehrman asks: --------------->>>>>>>>>

  Ignatius goes on a tear with GENOITO MOI in Ephesians 11f (3x). It's
normally translated something like "may it be to me that ..." or "may I
be" (optative of wish). What do you think of "I hope that I," or
something comparable? E.g., translating

    "In him I am bearing my chains, which are spiritual pearls, EN hOIS
GENOITO MOI ANASTHNAI TH PROSEUXH hUMWN" as "In him I am bearing my
chains, which are spiritual pearls. In them I hope to rise again through
your prayers..."

  Too weak? Wrong idea? Unnuanced? Perfect in every way?

-- Bart Ehrman

I've wrestled with this "last-leaf-on-the-tree" optative for decades, and
my answer to Bart's question is:

                "Perfect in every way."

His solution in Ignatius, "I hope to..." is stylish, and really RIGHT, I
think.

I'm really beginning to look forward to Bart's replacement for Kirsopp
Lake's venerable Loeb "Apostolic Fathers".

Edward Hobbs
Wellesley College