Re: Colossians 1:21-23

From: Bill Ross (wross@farmerstel.com)
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 14:38:50 EST

The term "reconciled" APOKATHLLAXEV does not have the same sense as in
"reconciled" in English. Etymologically it comes from tearing down a wall.
The sense is that one person tore down their side of the wall, not that two
were reunited into unity. Hence...

2 Cor 6:
18 And all things are of God, who **hath reconciled** us to himself by
Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not
imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of
reconciliation.
20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you
by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, **be ye** reconciled [tear down your
side of the wall] to God.
21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we **might
be** [subjunctive] made the righteousness of God in him.
6:1 We then, as workers together with him, beseech you also that ye
receive not the grace of God in vain.

We see the same in Romans 5:

10 For if, when we were enemies, we **were reconciled** to God by the
death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we **shall be saved** by his
life.

As to Colossians, the whole language used in the passage is one of building
or drifting:

"if you continue...grounded...settled...not being moved away..."

In his summary, he uses the subjunctive about his presenting, showing that
he does not consider it a "done deal" but the fruit of his labors of
faithful announcing, warning and teaching...

28 Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all
wisdom; that we may present [PARASGHSWMEN] every man perfect in Christ
Jesus:

And how could Paul speak confidently of their future not "moving away"
since he said that many would!

So, EI is "if" and definitely not "since."