Re: Colossians 1:21-23

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@speedgate.net)
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 18:49:12 EST

Bill Ross wrote;

>The term "reconciled" APOKATHLLAXEV does not have the same sense as in
>"reconciled" in English. Etymologically it comes from tearing down a wall.
>The sense is that one person tore down their side of the wall, not that two
>were reunited into unity. Hence...

LSJ indicates that the basic verb stem ALLASSW was used to denote
exchanging one thing for another. The only meaning given for the double
compound APOKATALASSW is to "reconcile back" or to restore a relationship
that is damaged. I do not have the tools at home to check Bill's etymology,
but I do not think it would affect the use of this word in Paul any more
than the fact that "goodby" is affected in our use of it by the fact that
it came from "God be with you." In the context of Col. 1, the word refers
to God reconciling sinners to himself.

As often has been pointed out on this list, etymology is interesting and
sometimes informative, but usually leads the translator astray.

>2 Cor 6: (I think you mean ch. 5)
>18 And all things are of God, who **hath reconciled** us to himself by
>Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
>19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not
>imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of
>reconciliation.
>20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you
>by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, **be ye** reconciled [tear down your
>side of the wall] to God.

I think what's in brackets would be very distracting if inserted into this
context. The passive form here is what Carl Conrad calls middle and I call
reflexive passive. To me it says "be reconciled to God" (Accept for
yourself God's provision of reconciliation).

>21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we **might
>be** [subjunctive] made the righteousness of God in him.
>6:1 We then, as workers together with him, beseech you also that ye
>receive not the grace of God in vain.
>
>We see the same in Romans 5:
>
>10 For if, when we were enemies, we **were reconciled** to God by the
>death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we **shall be saved** by his
>life.
>
>As to Colossians, the whole language used in the passage is one of building
>or drifting:
>
>"if you continue...grounded...settled...not being moved away..."
>
>In his summary, he uses the subjunctive about his presenting, showing that
>he does not consider it a "done deal" but the fruit of his labors of
>faithful announcing, warning and teaching...
>
>28 Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all
>wisdom; that we may present [PARASGHSWMEN] every man perfect in Christ
>Jesus:
>
>And how could Paul speak confidently of their future not "moving away"
>since he said that many would!
>
>So, EI is "if" and definitely not "since."

I would say that the subjunctive following hINA in Col. 1:28 indicates the
basic purpose of Paul's ministry, i.e., to "present every person mature in
Christ."

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College