Re: Mk 8:35-37, YUCH

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 19 1999 - 17:11:27 EST

At 2:18 PM -0800 12/19/99, dixonps@juno.com wrote (inter alia):

>This helps explain the fluidity (evasiness?) of YUCH in Mk 8:35-37.
>But, let's look at just verse 35, since that is the real verse in
>question
>here, as Joe points out. He argues the tension is between the two
>kinds of YUCH, the lower and the higher, the physical and the spiritual.
>That would seem to be the case. The alternative, to find one's life one
>must lose it or to find one's soul one must lose it, seems inherently
>contradictory.
>
>It would seem better to understand it to mean that the one who desires
>to save his YUCH at the higher or spiritual level must lose it or be
>willing
>to lose it (AUTHN) at the lower or physical level.

The one thing I'd be wary of here is precisely what is indicated by
translators' hesitation at using the same English word for YUCH in both
instances: I don't think that one ought to attempt on the basis of this to
try to extrapolate an anthropological doctrine of two souls, higher and
lower levels, consistently used in the Synoptic gospels. The fluidity of
the usage of YUCH in the GNT, it seems to me, pretty much precludes that;
I'd refer again to the lengthy and complex entries on YUCH in Louw and Nida.

>This interpretation does not preclude the teaching of salvation by grace
>alone, since the latter may imply the former.

I think we should be clarifying the Greek here and leave it to individual
readers to draw their own theological conclusions. This forum does not
promote nor attack teachings/doctrines. Deliberate avoidance of doing so is
what makes it possible to keep the list open to people who disagree with
each other theologically.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu