Re: KOPIWNTAS in Acts 20:35

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 21 1999 - 08:15:49 EST

At 1:58 PM +0100 12/21/99, Roe wrote:
>Hello B-Greeks,
>
>Acts 20:35 ...OTI OUTWS KOPIWNTAS DEI ANTILAMBANESQAI TWN ASQENOUNTWN...
>
>Fribergs' Grammatical Analysis Database shows KOPIWNTAS in Acts 20:35 as
>a 2nd person verb, supporting the KJV, ASV, NASB translations, among
>others. Some (NRSV, NEB, NIV, TEV, et al.) translate this in 1st
>person, that "we" must KOPIWNTAS; or, like the RSV and most German
>translations, translate the intended actors of KOPIWNTAS as a plurality
>of unknown persons by translating that "one" must KOPIWNTAS (Ger:
>"man").
>
>In 1 Thess. 5:12 we find the same form (...TOUS KOPIWNTAS EN hUMIN...)
>when it here seems obviously to express the 3rd person ("those labouring
>among you").
>
>Is it by reason of a 'typo' that Fribergs' Database "determines"
>KOPIWNTAS in Acts 20:35 to be a 2nd person verb? Or was this likely a
>judgment call, and if so, is it grammatically based?

The text: PANTA hUPEDEIXA hUMIN hOTI hOUTWS KOPIWNTAS DEI ANTILAMBANESQAI
TWN ASQENOUNTWN, ...

KOPIWNTAS is in fact an acc. pl. masc. participle here in agreement with
the implicit subject of ANTILAMBANESQAI, which is hUMAS from the
immediately preceding hUMIN; it's accusative because DEI normally takes the
syntactic structure of acc. subject + infinitive. The statement regards how
those being directly addressed are to act; that's why, when put back into
direct discourse, it gets translated as a second-person plural. More
literally it would be, "I gave you all instructions that you should, thus
laboring, render assistance to those who are sick ..."

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu