Re: KOPIWNTAS in Acts 20:35

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Dec 21 1999 - 11:44:16 EST

----------
>From: "Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>
>To: Biblical Greek <b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>Subject: Re: KOPIWNTAS in Acts 20:35
>Date: Tue, Dec 21, 1999, 5:15 AM
>

> The text: PANTA hUPEDEIXA hUMIN hOTI hOUTWS KOPIWNTAS DEI ANTILAMBANESQAI
> TWN ASQENOUNTWN, ...
>
> KOPIWNTAS is in fact an acc. pl. masc. participle here in agreement with
> the implicit subject of ANTILAMBANESQAI, which is hUMAS from the
> immediately preceding hUMIN; it's accusative because DEI normally takes the
> syntactic structure of acc. subject + infinitive. The statement regards how
> those being directly addressed are to act; that's why, when put back into
> direct discourse, it gets translated as a second-person plural. More
> literally it would be, "I gave you all instructions that you should, thus
> laboring, render assistance to those who are sick ..."

I would add to Carl's excellent comments that Friberg's tagging system
uses tags which are hybrids. The tags combine morphological and semantic
information in the same tag. This can cause people a little confusion at
first, until they understand how the Friberg's employ their
tags, the details of which are described in the introduction to the hard
copy of the Analytical Greek NT. The impact of this is that most tags in
the Friberg database contain the straight morphological information
which is, with the exception of ambiguous forms, not controversial as
well as a layer of semantic information which can at times be quite
controversial.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew