Re: 1 John 2:1

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Tue Dec 21 1999 - 17:37:06 EST

At 03:50 PM 12/21/99 -0600, you wrote:
>1 John 2:1 "My little children I am writing you these things that you may
not commit a sin..."

>TEKNIA MOU TAUTA GRAFW hYMIN hINA MH hAMARTHTE
>
>Is hAMARTHTE a specific sin or sin in general? Is he here referring to the
inherited sin that Romans 5:12 mentions or rather a sin that would involve a
wrongdoing different from regular imperfection?

You are assuming the author knows of Romans...

Anyway- it refers to sin in general.

>I just found it quite strange that he "writes so that they do not commit a
sin" when
>1 John 1:8 tells us that to make the statement: "We have no sin" then
constitutes us as a liar.

The back and forth of the dialogue here is just how it is with the human
condition. sometimes we sin- but we ought not. and when we do, we have...
etc...

>I seriously doubt John was contradicting himself a few verse later. He
most likely had something else in mind. Does the Greek reveal anything I am
missing?

not anything the english translations dont show.

best,

jim

Jim West, ThD
jwest@highland.net
http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

"This is the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill