Re: Help on Revelation 20

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Wed Dec 22 1999 - 08:25:08 EST

At 07:25 AM 12/21/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Dear friends, this is my first post since joining up and I said then I
>was the new guy on the block. So, please do bear with me. I need some
>help on the following points:
>
>1. Is there any textual difference between the TR, the Majority Text
>and the Westcott-Hort texts on Revelation 20? I under stand there are
>some differences between the TR and MJ texts, but are they great
>differences from the WT on this chapter?

Which verses do you have in mind????

>2. Concering the reall issue, the plural 1,000. Why is it that we
>should not trnalsate htis as 1,000s? I realize that there are some
>other place in the Greek Texts where the singular occurs, and it is
>1,000, so why not 1,000s here?

Because the number is seen as a "collective" and thus is singular. Oh sure,
1000 is not just 1- but when a group or series is intended- the series
itself is singular and not a group of series's ( ;-) )

>3. I am in a friendly discussion with several persons on different list
>fellowships and the issue of the personal, yet future, 1,000 years fule
>of Christ is going to come up. Many of the others on those fellowships
>will affirm that this translation must needs be 1,000 rahter than
>1,000s.

Well thats just it- the "reign of Christ" of 1000 years is ONE event. Ergo-
it is a singular idea and a singular item.

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
jwest@highland.net
http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

"This is the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill