Acts 2:38 Which translation?

From: KJohn36574@aol.com
Date: Wed Dec 22 1999 - 22:23:17 EST

Williams' translation states:

"Peter said to them, "You must repent - AND AS AN EXPRESSION OF IT,* let
every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ - that you may have
you sins forgiven;..."

* These five words implied from context and usage in the Early
Church.-Williams' quote.

However, Beck translates,

"Peter answered them, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name
of Jesus Christ so that your sins will be forgiven,.."

Williams was a Southern Baptist and Beck was Lutheran. Is it only a DOCTRINAL
preference whether Acts 2:38 teaches sin remission through repentance and
baptism, or just repentance? I'm assuming faith is involved in either case.

Also, should the clause, "eis aphesin ton hamartion hymon" be held as
parenthetical because it makes a distinction between singular and plural
verbs and nouns (example: The verb for "repent" is plural and so is the
pronoun "your")? Therefore the verb repent goes with the noun yours. On the
other hand, the imperative "be baptized" is singular, thus sets off the rest
of the sentence????????
("The Bible Knowledge Commentary" P.359.

Also, should we translate literally the last clause as "for the remission of
sins" or should we translate idiomatically, "so that your sins will be
forgiven"?

Whatcha think?

Ken Johnson
Elk Grove, CA