Beck translation trivia

From: KJohn36574@aol.com
Date: Wed Dec 22 1999 - 21:57:45 EST

Just past the copywrite page Beck states the following about the front cover
design of his hardbound English translation of the NT:

  "This is the word for "cross" in Papyrus 75, our oldest manuscript of Luke.
It is found in this special form at Luke 9:23;14:27;24:7.
    If you spell out this Greek word, it is 'stauron'. But the letters 'au'
are omitted and their omission is indicated by the line above the word. Then
the r, which in Greek has the form of a p is superimposed on the t so that we
have a head suggesting a body on a cross.
   'Cross' is the only word in the manuscript selected for such a special
design. The Savior, crucified for us, is the reason why the New Testament was
written-
        and why it is here translated."

I just found this interesting, and thought I'd share it.

Ken Johnson
Elk Grove, CA
KJohn36574@aol.com