Re: Pronouns in John 1:1 and 1 John 1:1-4

From: Steve Puluka (spuluka@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Dec 25 1999 - 21:05:45 EST

<x-flowed>>From: Steven Craig Miller <scmiller@www.plantnet.com>

>The Jewish Publication society translates the beginning of Genesis
>differently than most Christian translations, they give:
>
><< When God began to create (a) heaven and earth -- the earth being
>unformed and void ... >>

In the interest of full disclosure, my 1992 reprint of the 1985 edition of
the JPS translation contains the following footnote to this text:

a Others "In the beginning God Created"

Presumably this refers to other Jewish translations of the Hebrew. I
believe that most major Christian translations are also working from the
Hebrew text as well.

Steve Puluka
Adult Education Instructor
http://arrive.at/byzantinecatholic