Re: Hades, Tartarus, Gehenna all rendered "hell"--Loyal translation?

From: George Goolde (goolde@mtnempire.net)
Date: Thu Dec 30 1999 - 13:30:53 EST

<x-flowed>Steven wrote to Bill,

>The logic of your point escapes me. For it is not uncommon for a person to
>use near synonyms merely for the fun (or diversity) of it, just as it is
>also uncommon for a person to use the same term in different ways.

The point, of course, is to determine if the use of two words is intended
to be synonymous or if it intends to showcase the difference between the
words. That is a matter of hermeneutics, which is not the subject of this
list. It would appear clear to me, however, that the answer(s) to the
discussion will be determined by one's hermeneutics at this point. It is
probable that different members of the list would have different approaches
to this point of hermeneutics. What is clear to me is that this would
affect our interpretation of and subsequently our translation of the Greek
text.

Regards,

George

George A. Goolde
Professor, Bible and Theology
Southern California Bible College & Seminary
El Cajon, California

goolde@mtnempire.net