RE: Hades, Tartarus, Gehenna all rendered "hell"--Loyal translation?

From: Bill Ross (wross@farmerstel.com)
Date: Thu Dec 30 1999 - 13:40:23 EST

<Burks>
..I think it is different to transliterate the name Abraham for example then
it would be to transliterate Hades or Gehenna etc. It may not be necessary
to understand that the name Abraham means "father of many nations," to
understand the meaning of a particular text, but it might be important to
know the meaning of Gehenna when reading it in another passage.

<Ross>
It seems to be an arbitrary evaluation to say that "Hades" and "Gehenna" are
illuminated by definition/clarification but not "Abraham." They are on equal
footing: both pronouns, both with contextual information and many Biblical
usages. The "meaning" of the name would be helpful in either case:

Gen 17:5 Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name
shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee.

But if the reader has a consistent transliteration, the meaning will be
communicated by the text itself (especially if they have a concordance).

Bill Ross