Re: Hades, Tartarus, Gehenna all rendered "hell"--Loyal translation?

From: Numberup@worldnet.att.net
Date: Thu Dec 30 1999 - 14:59:20 EST

Sounds logical and reasonable enough, as you suggest, to just transliterate those
words and footnote them. As for TARTAROW, why not something like "thrust them down
into Tartarus," as Kenneth Wuest translates it? (Again, with a footnote, probably
citing the LXX of Job 40:15, where the substantive form EN TWi TARTARWi ("in the
deep," Brenton) is found.

Solomon Landers
Memra Institute for Biblical Research
http://www.memrain.org