Re: Jude 7 TOV hOMOION TRPON

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 01:43:07 EST

----------
>From: "James S. Murray" <jsmurray@execpc.com>

> I had a couple of questions about the phrase TON hOMOION TROPON TOUTOIS
> in Jude 7. The full text reads:
>
> hWS SODOMA KAI GOMOPPA KAI hAI PERI AUTAS POLEIS TOV hOMOION TROPON
> TOUTOIS EKPORNEUSASAI KAI APELQOUSAI OPISW SAPKOS hETERAS, PROKEINTAI
> DEIGMA PUROS AIWNIOU DIKHN hUPECOUSAI.

> First, is TON hOMOION TROPON an adverbial accusative?

Yes.

> If so, does it qualify one or both of the participles (EKPORNEUSASAI KAI
> APELQOUSAI)

Both.

>or could it possibly qualify PROKEINTAI DEIGMA.

Perhaps.

*******
A few further observations.

Richard A. Young (Intermediate Gk Gram, P20) says this is a difficult
problem to solve. He cites R.J. Baukham (WBC, 1983) as a proponent of
the two participle solution and Lenski as favoring the PROKEINTAI
DEIGMA.

I don't really think this problem is all that difficult. Both Baukham
and J.B. Mayor (2Pet & Jude,1907, p 20. ) see the main point of the
comparison in the APELQOUSAI OPISW SAPKOS hETERAS. I agree with them
for several reasons. First it is syntactically feasible and second it is
semantically probable.

They syntax might permit PROKEINTAI DEIGMA as the point of comparison
but there is more to this than the analysis of syntax. I don't think
that PROKEINTAI DEIGMA as the *exclusive* point of comparison is a
tenable solution. My reason for this is not primarily syntactical but
has to do with the semantic structure of the context where the pattern
of ideas suggests strongly that it was the nature of the activity
engaged in by the Angels and Sodomites that was being compared. This
would not rule out the inclusion of a comparison of their punishment
which J.B. Mayor alludes to in his cryptic notes.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point