Re: John 1:5 - aspect

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 11:58:17 EST

At 10:12 AM -0600 1/11/00, Joe A. Friberg wrote:
> [...]

Elizabethan English used "comprehend" in the KJV, and then the primary
sense of the word was apparently "grab," "seize." I think that "apprehend"
might work the same way now. But I'm not really sure it's possible to
capture what appear to be authentic double-entendres in the Greek. What
does one do with ANWQEN in John 3:3 EAN MH TIS GENNHQHi ANWQEN ...? How do
you say both "again" and "from on high" Can we resort to something like "da
capo"? I suspect we can do little more than footnote the version to
indicate the possibility or suspicion of a double entendre.

--

Carl W. Conrad Department of Classics/Washington University One Brookings Drive/St. Louis, MO, USA 63130/(314) 935-4018 Home: 7222 Colgate Ave./St. Louis, MO 63130/(314) 726-5649 cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu