Re: Mt 5:14-16

From: David A Bielby (dbielby@juno.com)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 20:37:00 EST

Thanks for the reply Brian. Yes, I agree it's a great passage. As I've
been looking at this more, I noticed an interesting cross reference. The
exact phrase also occurs in Mt 23:13, but is normally translated very
differently.

The phrase is EMPROSQEN TWN ANQRWPWN. There the NKJ translates it as
'against men'. Anyhow, this gives the clear impression that EMPROSQEN
can vary dramatically based on syntax....

In answer to your question about is this passage in Mt 5 directed to the
disciples. I think you will find your answer in Mt.5.1

IHS,

David Bielby
the Vineyard
'a contemporary church'