Re: Matthew 24:34

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)
Date: Sat Jan 29 2000 - 15:11:31 EST

<x-flowed>To: Grant Polle,

<< The "generation" has always puzzled me likewise. Is it the generation of
the past or the future?
Does Matthew 23:36 "Truly I say to you, All these things will come upon
this generation" help understand the idea of generation? Or does it mean
something different here? >>

The Matthean Jesus used this phrase "this generation" a number of times at
Mt 11:16; 12:41-42,45; 23:36; and 24:34. IMO, the phrase "this generation"
(as it appears in the Matthean gospel) can only refer to those who lived
during the time when Jesus himself lived. What grammatical justification is
there for taking it any other way?

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@www.plantnet.com
FWIW: I'm neither a clergy-person, nor an academic (and I have no post-grad
degrees).