Re: Jo 4:54 PALIN

From: Joe A. Friberg (JoeFriberg@email.msn.com)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 15:08:34 EST

I would like to point out the discourse level function of this verse, which
provides the motivational explanation for their redundancy in the semantics
of the verse.

This verse and (and this incident) occur in the 'Book of Signs' (1.19-12.50)
as the second of seven signs highlighted by John. As a chief motif of this
section of the gospel, John uses marked grammar to highlight both the first
and second signs (2.11, 4.54). Once the pattern is established of picking
out particular signs which are elaborated upon, John becomes much more
relaxed in his presentation of later signs. But this is only the second
sign highlighted, and it is by this second sign that clearly establishes the
pattern followed in the construction of this section of the gospel. Hence
the unusual grammar, double-highlighting as it were the sequencing of signs.
John does not want the pattern to be lost on the reader.

Was I read ended enough in that last paragraph? Maybe John is rubbing off
on me!

God bless!
Joe A. Friberg