Re: hit / WO function (was: Quirk ...)

From: yochanan bitan (ButhFam@compuserve.com)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2000 - 10:49:49 EST

SCM wrote on word orders:
>>Mary [S] hits [V] the ball [O].
>>MARIA [S] EPAISE [V] THN SFAIRAN [O].
>>THN SFAIRAN [O] MARIA [S] EPAISEN [V].

1. Would you have some texts for hitting balls?
e.g. paiein instead to tuptein?
I always run into these kinds of questions when developing material.

2. The above sentences teach the mechanical generation of variant orders
but not the pragmatic constraints and impulses. So I would say that they
are a slice of a bigger picture.
Certainly not the end of the line but part of a bigger beginning.
For example, getting a student to give an intonation or interpretation of a
proposed word order is a corrolary which fits in with providing a reading
of any Greek text.

erroso
Randall Buth