Re: hit / WO function (was: Quirk ...)

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2000 - 14:18:49 EST

<x-flowed>To: Randall Buth,

<< 1. Would you have some texts for hitting balls? e.g. paiein instead to
tuptein? >>

No, and my reason for choosing PAIW wasn't too sophisticated. What I did
was look in Woodhouse's "English-Greek Dictionary: A Vocabulary of the
Attic Language," which gives a number of words for "hit," and found:
KROUEIN, TUPTEIN, KOPTEIN, PATAXAI, PAIEIN, QEINEIN, & ARASSEIN. Then I
looked in Louw & Nida's "Greek-English Lexicon" and saw TUPTW & PAIW given
(at 19.1). Then I looked at Xenophon's vocabulary for the "Anabasis," and
found that Xenophon didn't use TUPTW. And then after looking at LSMJ's
entry for PAIW, I thought it might be acceptable.

<< I always run into these kinds of questions when developing material. >>

Me too. The other day I was wondering if QURA might also mean "doorway" in
addition to meaning "door." After reading the entry on QURA in LSMJ, it
seemed to me that it does. And just now, looking in Louw & Nida I found the
following comment:

<< In Jn 10.9 the emphasis is upon the door as a passageway and not as an
object closing off an entrance. Literal translations of 'I am the door' may
often lead to misinterpretation, since the term used for 'door' is likely
to refer to a literal door rather than to the entranceway, thus suggesting
that Jesus Christ functions primarily to prevent passage rather than making
entrance possible >> (7.39).

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@www.plantnet.com
FWIW: I'm neither a clergy-person, nor an academic (and I have no post-grad
degrees).