Re: KATA KAIRON

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 15:21:40 EST

<x-flowed>To: Bart Ehrman,

<< In 1 Clement 24:2 we read: IDWMEN AGAPHTOI THN KATA KAIRON GINOMENHN
ANASTASIN, "We should consider, beloved, the resurrection that happens KATA
KAIRON." What do you think of rendering it "...the resurrection that
happens all the time," instead of something like "at the right time" or "at
the right season" or the like? >>

KATA with the accusative is often used distributively, for example KAT'
ETOS can mean "year by year" or "yearly" and KAQ' hHMERAN can mean "day by
day" or "daily" so it doesn't seem to be much of a stretch to take KATA
KAIRON to mean "season by season," "every season," or some such.

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@www.plantnet.com
FWIW: I'm neither a clergy-person, nor an academic (and I have no post-grad
degrees).