Re: KATA KAIRON

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 15:24:15 EST

At 2:52 PM -0500 2/7/00, Jim West wrote:
>At 02:31 PM 2/7/00 -0500, you wrote:
>> In 1 Clement 24:2 we read: IDWMEN AGAPHTOI THN KATA KAIRON GINOMENHN
>>ANASTASIN, "We should consider, beloved, the resurrection that happens
>>KATA KAIRON." What do you think of rendering it "...the resurrection that
>>happens all the time," instead of something like "at the right time" or
>>"at the right season" or the like?
>
>Wouldn't that require CHRONOS or the like? Further- what exactly is a
>resurrection that happens all the time?

As for Jim West's question, it seems we could point directly at Paul's
statement
in Phil 3:9-11, which I would be inclined to understand in terms of a
repeated mystical experience of sharing the death and resurrection of Jesus
on a personal level, and I think there are other passages that suggest a
recurrent experience of participation in Jesus' death and resurrection.

I think I would want to understand the passage in 1 Clement as "the
resurrection that comes seasonally." While I recall the passage (I know not
from what source) back in the old Chase & Phillips beginning textbook:
CRONOS MEN ESTIN EN hWi POLLOI EISIN KAIROI, KAIROS DE EN hWi OUK ESTIN
POLUS CRONOS, I also remember at some point (Cornford?) the notion that
KAIROI are the turning points of cyclical time--the equinoxes and the
solstices, hence the points of new beginning that the changes of seasons
represent--hence, in the present context, "the resurrection that comes when
time is ripe for it"--I think this is still something that can recur, just
as does Springtime.

>> The text goes on to say that day and night reveal the resurrection
>>(since the day appears when the night departs, etc.) as do the crops,
>>which make their regular appearance after sowing. This is just before the
>>famous passage of the Phoenix, which also proves the resurrection (!).

Well, I think I'd say these are precisely the sorts of "fruition"
associated with the rhythms of time and the regular recursion of seasonal
renewal.

Another guess, at any rate.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu