Re: Romans 1:16,17 - The antecedent of EN AUTW

From: John Wilking (johnwilking@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2000 - 23:49:57 EST

<x-flowed>

Joe. A. Friberg said,

>Back on the Rom 1.16-17 passage, if the EN AUTWi is taken to refer back to
>the TWi PISTEUONTI, I would see this phrase not as an Indirect Object 'to
>him', but a locative (which has been mentioned already), meaning
>'within/in-the-sphere-of him'.

I think I'm asking two questions: one, if AUTWi can grammatically refer to
the PANTI adjective phrase and, two, if the semantics of EN will permit it.

I found about thirty PAS adjective phrases in the NT that are followed by an
anaphoric reference. Of the thirty, twenty eight (I think), seem to refer
to the adjective phrase. Two of them do not and it appears that they don't
for semantic, not grammatical reasons.

I first held to the locative idea, "God's righteousness revealed in someone
who believes." I later considered equivalence with a simple dative a
possibility. These are the things that have stimulated my question(s).

John C. Wilking