Re: Romans 1:16,17 - The antecedent of EN AUTW

From: John Wilking (johnwilking@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2000 - 21:12:26 EST

<x-flowed>F.F. Bruce tried to make the point that APOKALUYAI TON hUION AUTOU EN EMOI
in Galations 1:16 should or could be translated "reveal his son to me." We
also have FANERON ESTIN EN AUTOIS in Romans 1:19 which James Dunn translates
as "is evident to them." The prepositional phrase seems to be equivalent to
the following AUTOIS in the same verse. It seems that EN may have the idea
of "to". Perhaps it has this meaning when it is collocated with certain
verbs.

John C. Wilking