Re: Romans 3:21,22 PEFANERWTAI - Verbal Ellipsis

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 06:36:17 EST

At 8:01 PM -0800 2/20/00, John Wilking wrote:
>Can we read PEFANERWTAI as the missing verb in Romans 3:22 and thus read it
>as DIKAIOSUNN DE QEOU PEFANERWTAI...EIS PANTAS TOUS PISTEUONTAS?

3:20 DIOTI EX ERGWN NOMOU OU DIKAIWQHSETAI PASA SARX ENWPION AUTOU, DIA GAR
NOMOU EPIGNWSIS hAMARTIAS. 21 NUNI DE CWRIS NOMOU DIKAIOSUNH QEOU
PEFANERWTAI MARTUROUMENH hUPO TOU NOMOU KAI TWN PROFHTWN. 22 DIKAIOSUNH DE
QEOU DIA PISTEWS IHSOU CRISTOU EIS PANTAS TOUS PISTEUONTAS. OU GAR ESTIN
DIASTOLH. 23 PANTES GAR hHMARTON KAI hUSTEROUNTAI THS DOXHS TOU QEOU 24
DIKAOUMENOI DWREAN THi AUTOU CARITI DIA THS APOLUTRWSEWS THS EN CRISTWi
IHSOU ...

(Sorry, I have to see the whole relevant text and context before judging
this and would want what I have to say understood in terms of that whole
relevant text and context.)

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to suggest about verse 22; if it's
that "all who believe" are the RECIPIENTS of the REVELATION of God's
righteousness, then I would disagree with that reading of the text--i.e. in
any way suggesting that EIS PANTAS TOUS PISTEUONTAS is an indirect object
of the passive verb. I rather think that EIS PANTAS TOUS PISTEUONTAS means
"with respect to everyone who believes"--since what follows immediately
seems intended to clarify the PANTAS: there is no differentiation between
sinners and non-sinners because there aren't any non-sinners. Therefore I
think I'd be willing to accept an implicit PEFANERWTAI in verse 22 if we
understand verse 22 to mean: "God's righteousness effected by means of
faith in/of Jesus Christ stands revealed as bearing upon everyone who
believes." But I'm not sure whether that is what you mean by supplying
PEFANERWTAI in verse 22 and linking it to EIS PANTAS TOUS PISTEUONTAS (if
that's what you're doing--but you may be simply indicating the end of the
clause).

I would be just as content, if not more so, to understand ESTI as the
implicit verb of verse 22 and read it as a link between the subject,
DIKAIOSUNH QEOU and the predicate, DIA PISTEWS IHSOU CRISTOU EIS PANTAS
TOUS PISTEUONTAS, thereby reading the whole verse as, "God's righteousness
(is) effected by means of faith in/of Jesus Christ (and) (extends) to
everyone who believes." It is the verb EINAI that is in ellipsis more often
than any other verb in Greek and seems to me to be the best candidate in
this instance also, but I think the real 'verbal' force of the predicate
lies in those prepositions DIA and EIS.

Finally, by way of explanation for any to whom my representation of PISTEWS
IHSOU CRISTOU as "faith in/of Jesus Christ" is not clear, I want
(personally) to leave open the possibility of understanding IHSOU CRISTOU
as a SUBJECTIVE genitive, although most interpreters still incline to the
view that it is an OBJECTIVE genitive--and I think there's a case to be
made for either view.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu