Re: Didache 12:5

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 15:47:54 EST

<x-flowed>At 07:50 21/02/00 -0500, Bart Ehrman wrote:
>What do you think of "Christmonger" for XRISTEMPOROS?

In addition to the examples already posted to the list, this word was,
according to Lampe, used by Gregory of Nazianzus of heretics.

Or. 21.31 ( where he is speaking of Athenasius ):
  He cleansed the temple of those who made merchandise of God, and
trafficked in the things of Christ, imitating Christ

More interesting is how the word occurs in Chrysostom's Homily 6 on 1 Th.
4:11-12 where we can see that this was a term thrown back as a reproach at
Christians by opponents

>>>For if those who are among us are offended at these things, much more
those who are without, finding numberless accusations and handles, when
they see a man who is in good health and able to support himself, begging
and asking help of others. Wherefore also they call us Christ-mongers. On
this account, he means, "the name of God is blasphemed." (Rom. ii. 24) <<

Maurice

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros@iol.ie

[ subscribed to MSN Messenger