Re: Matthew 5:31-32 (Divorce)

From: Jason Hare (parousia_occ@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 04:02:39 EST

Another note along the same lines: Look carefully at
the passage in Matthew 5:32. The problem that I did
not note in my off-list reply was that MOICEUQHNAI and
MOICATAI are two_different_words. MOICEUQHNAI is from
MOICEUW (active voice) while MOICATAI is from MOICAW
(which always occurs in the middle/deponent state).
They are not the same word: MOICEUW in the active
voice means "commit adultery" and MOICAW in the active
middle means the same, but what of MOICEUW in the
middle?? (I got this from Strong's Dictionary of
Bible Words, numbers 3249 and 3431.)

Then we are turned again to the same question, yet we
see that it has significance as to its voice. I hope
this will help in the discussion.

In borrowed words: hOUTWS EMOI DOKEI.

Jason Hare
OCC