Re: Congrats to me!

From: Wayne Leman (wleman@mcn.net)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 13:17:45 EST

Jim West responded to Bart:

>you seldom miss the point.
>anyway- i differ a bit in my understanding of the compound verb here
>(shocking!!!!!). i would translate with something like "i rejoice within
>myself".

But, but,...Jim, I don't think that's English. <g> Can you translate it all
the way to English for us so that it makes sense in English? Then an English
reader can understand what the Greek source text meant.

BTW, this is one of my soapboxes. I'm currently proofreading (yet) another
new English Bible version and it is full of (yea, replete with, and there is
even a plethora of) syntactic "transliterations" from Greek which do not
make sense in English. English is a good language, capable of expressing
with its own lexicon and syntax the meaning of the biblical source texts.

Wayne
a translator
editor
lover of good English and Greek