Re: John 7:8 OUPW

From: dixonps@juno.com
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 10:28:10 EST

On Wed, 8 Mar 2000 07:29:51 -0500 "Carl W. Conrad"
<cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu> writes:
> At 6:42 AM -0500 3/8/00, Theodore H Mann wrote:
> >I wonder why UBS, NA and various current translations exclude OUPW
> from
> >this verse. (NIV includes it, and others footnote it.) UBS only
> gives
> >OUK a "C" rating, and there seems to be a lot of manuscript support
> for
> >OUPW, although I guess some of the more criticial manuscripts
> exclude it.
> > To this amateur it seems as though it's inclusion is reasonable,
> >especially since it eliminates all the fancy footwork exegetes must
> >employ to keep Jesus from misleading his disciples.
>
> Perhaps I'm missing something. I find OUPW in my copy of UBS3, and I
> don't
> think there's been any change in the text itself of UBS4.

I think Ted was referring to the seventh word in the verse. UBS4 has
OUK there and not OUPW. I don't know what UBS3 has there, but
the majority of mss do have OUPW.

As textual criticism goes, Ted, if OUPW is the more reasonable
reading, then it is probably to be rejected, since copyists probably
thought the same thing and probably changed it to that.

Paul Dixon