Re: John 7:8 OUPW

From: Theodore H Mann (thmann@juno.com)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 12:26:00 EST

Oopso!

I wasn't clear. The TR reads: hUMEIS AVABHTE EIS THN hEORTHN TAUTHN.
EGW OUPW AVABAINW EIS THN hEORTHN TAUTHN, hOTI hO KAIROS hO EMOS OUPW
PEPLHRWTAI..... I was referring to the first OUPW. I hope I got it
right this time.

Best.

Ted

On Wed, 8 Mar 2000 07:29:51 -0500 "Carl W. Conrad"
<cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu> writes:
> At 6:42 AM -0500 3/8/00, Theodore H Mann wrote:
> >I wonder why UBS, NA and various current translations exclude OUPW
> from
> >this verse. (NIV includes it, and others footnote it.) UBS only
> gives
> >OUK a "C" rating, and there seems to be a lot of manuscript support
> for
> >OUPW, although I guess some of the more criticial manuscripts
> exclude it.
> > To this amateur it seems as though it's inclusion is reasonable,
> >especially since it eliminates all the fancy footwork exegetes must
> >employ to keep Jesus from misleading his disciples.
>
> Perhaps I'm missing something. I find OUPW in my copy of UBS3, and I
> don't
> think there's been any change in the text itself of UBS4.
>
> --
>
> Carl W. Conrad
> Department of Classics/Washington University
> One Brookings Drive/St. Louis, MO, USA 63130/(314) 935-4018
> Home: 7222 Colgate Ave./St. Louis, MO 63130/(314) 726-5649
> cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu
> WWW: http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~cwconrad/

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.